Getting back to the post previous to the last one, it is time to share more of my hanging process.
Now that the wall was painted (in my subtle green), I took a close look at the wall regarding traffic flow, lighting (which Elliot from the Galleria http://www.andersonvillegalleria.com/index.html happily helped me to adjust), and the wall that is not connected to mine physically, but visually can be a deterrent due to it being perpendicular to the center of my wall. The shadow area at the top of the wall created a visual separation and I wanted to be sure nothing would be cut in half due to lighting.
Next, I took an inventory of some of the items I want to sell. Narrowing it down to three kinds of items I created helped to make the overall placement within the space much easier: 1- the larger size dancer prints from my original watercolor paintings (framed and unframed – the unframed ones can also be ordered here on my website on the Dancer Series page), 2- black and white rabbit prints (also from my original drawings) that I made into one-of-a-kind pieces by adding color with Prismacolor pencils, and 3- handmade paper flowers I created from German crepe paper (a different color on each side) purchased from my favorite paper store in Boulder, Two Hands Paperie http://twohandspaperie.com.
After taking measurements, but before pounding of nails, I created small thumbnails on sticky notes to get an idea of what arrangement I would prefer. I started with my largest pieces, the Dancer Series, and carefully began measuring the placements of L-hooks and nails, taking into account the added space needed from the hangers (tabs or hooks).
Once the Dancers were in place, I measured from the middle and worked my way out to hang the rabbits. Placing the rabbits on the couch the day before to consider the 2 matting colors and the order of the rabbits based upon the visual direction of each piece, made it so much easier to hang because the placement decisions were all ready made.
Dancers and the rabbits hung where the lighting was optimal. The final section of paper lotuses I hung in the shadowed area, to give an overall flow to the top, while spreading the color throughout. The lotuses are made in three different sizes which create more interest and texture in an area that needs the interest without over powering the other pieces.
While hanging the artwork, I kept in mind to leave space for title cards, descriptions and an artist statement.